Monday, May 24, 2004

laughter for monday

Extensive ruminations about the Chalabi/Iran connection, courtesy of Kevin Drum and Jim Henley. The latter in particular has some questions:

Isn't blowhard Michael Ledeen, for instance, just the sort of arrogant fool a foreign intelligence service would regard as the perfect mark? Aren't Ledeen's endless screeds demanding that the US topple the Iranian government the perfect cover for a witting or unwitting agent of influence? Where do the allegiances of (continuing!) Ledeen pal Manuchir Ghorbanifar really lie, and what damage has Douglas Feith done to the country by getting himself mixed up with the man? Are the Iranians crazy, for bringing US troops to their very borders, or crazy smart, having figured out just what a ten-division army bogged down in a sour occupation can and can't do to them?

Schadenfreud has been forbidden by those whose position on the war has revealed them to be fools. Well I don’t care. Give me Schadenfreud! Give me Emma Freud! Give me all the scions of the great psychoanalytic dynasty, including that creepy publicist and cultural operator!

I just can’t help it. I’m minding my own business when I’m overcome with giggles by the thought that Melanie Phillips is an Iranian intelligence asset. I think my lungs will burst at the next po-faced discussion of the “influence” of Tony Blair, dupe of dupes. Those endless legions of tough-minded, unfooled, stout-hearted, clear-sighted think tank monkeys, calling for courage and sacrifice from their corner offices. All with their strings pulled by a couple of guys with beards in an office in Tehran.

On the other hand, a lot of the neocon crowd were close to the Iran-Contra nonsense. Dupes or…what did they know and when did they know it?